Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Jo's First Birthday Party

On March 21, we threw Baby Jo a first birthday party. It was so much fun and we had a great time. Here are some blurry iphone pictures to prove it.


Many people scoff at the idea of throwing a first birthday for a baby. "You KNOW, he won't even REMEMBER it! Babies don't even CARE. It's just for the PARENTS," they may say. And to them I say, "YUP!" This party was basically an excuse for us to have a bunch of friends over and for me to decorate. And I'm ok with that.

I tried to think of a fun theme for the party, but I decided that since most of the guests would be adults, they would not really love a "puppy theme" party (my original idea since we always call Jo our Puppy). I decided to go with a much simpler theme: 1. The number one on cupcakes, on the invitations, and on the decor. It was nice and easy, and turned out cute.  I also made a monthly banner, where I had a picture of Jo from newborn, 1 month old, 2 month old, etc... up until 1 year! It was so much fun to make. Over a month later, we still have it up in our kitchen because all three of us like to look at the pictures. You can see it in the background.

 


Always looking for an excuse to craft, I decided to make Jo's outfit for the party:


I LOVED that party hat. Jo, on the other hand, hated it. Surprised? Me neither.


The menu was hamburgers and hotdogs, homemade cold slaw and homemade pasta salad. I made both of the sides. I'm not a great cook, so making food for a bunch of people caused me a little bit of anxiety. However, I found some great and easy recipes and they turned out edible. For dessert, I made chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes. Yeah, they were as delicious as they sound.

Jo's cake was a bit of a disaster, as you can tell. It looked like the birthday cake that the three fairies attempt to make for Princess Aurora in Sleeping Beauty. Womp womp.  Oh, well. The cute "one" banner helps take the attention off of the sloppy, slanted cake flop below. You can see both the cake and the cupcake toppers in this picture.

Like any first time parent, I was looking the most forward to Baby Jo's cake smash moment. He is normally such a messy eater, and he LOVES sweets, so I figured he would dive right in. Not so. It took a lot of convincing for him to even touch it.

"Mom, take this &*^% hat OFF OF ME!"
Once he FINALLY realized the sugary goodness inside the ugly cake, he didn't waste any more time. Gotta love the frosting beard!

We had quite a few guests come join us on the fun day. Our guests included:

Jordan's parents, his sister, his brother and his wife
Jordan's BFF Jared and his wife Ginger, along with their two little boys
The Cook Family
The Jennings Family
The Baldwin Family
The Medina Family
MacKenzie Baldwin (her husband couldn't make it)

Including all the children, it was 27 guests total. A full house! I've already decided that his 2nd birthday will be significantly smaller. 

We just love this 1 year old !


"Seriously, Mom. Enough with this stupid hat!"




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the love.