Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Books

Here is another list of some books that I have read in the last few months.

Room, by Emma Donogue: Of all the books I have read this year, this one is my favorite. The story is told by Jack, a five year old boy who has grown up in captivity with his mother. This book was SUCH an emotional roller coaster; I felt sad, excited, angry, and terrified throughout the story. So many times I wanted to reach my arms out into the pages of the book and give Jack and his mother a hug. Great book.

Pretty Ugly, by Kirker Butler: This book gets a big "Meh" from me. It started out silly and fun, but ended up being over the top and unlikable, even for satire.

Bridget Jones' Diary, by Helen Fielding: My friend suggested this book to me as "a way to feel better about your life". It's a silly, lighthearted book about poor Bridget, a 30-something who doesn't know how to date, diet, or quit smoking properly. The story narrated through diary entries, which is fun.

Everything I Never Told You, by Celeste Ng: Oh, man. This book was heartbreaking. It's about a family struggling with the recent death of their teenage daughter/sister. There is no single protagonist. The narrator, though in third person, describes each family member's thoughts and feelings at various times throughout the book. So many times I wanted to scream at the characters, like I sometimes feel tempted to do in movies. It's beautifully written.

For the Right Reasons, by Sean Lowe: I am absolutely embarrassed to even write down that I read this book, but curiosity got the best of me.  I am a recovered Bachelor/Bachelorette viewer (two seasons sober! Taking it one step at a time), and there was so much of this ridiculous franchise that I wanted to get a scoop on. Sean, former Bachelor, who actually married his "winner", gives a lot of poorly written information about the other side of the show. Not surprisingly, the book was dumb and full of backdoor bragging.

Austenland, by Shannon Hale: This was my second favorite book in this bunch. The best word I can use to describe it is "Delicious". It's a quick, fun story; it was like reading candy. I identified so much with the protagonist, Jane, though our lives are quite different. The narration is funny and the characters are silly. I am SO GLAD that I didn't watch the movie first, because the movie was terrrrrrible.

Midnight in Austenland, by Shannon Hale: Obviously, I was excited to read this sequel, though it was not nearly as delightful. The lead character is different, and while I liked her ok, it just wasn't the same. The story is much different, as well as the writing. I ended up not finishing it.

Harry Potter Books, 1-4, by J.K. Rowling: One of my goals to complete before I turn 30 is to read all the Harry Potter books. Once my 29th birthday came and went, I got down to business and read/listened to the first four. I liked them, but I don't think I will ever be the hardcore HP lover that so many people are in my life. I would say my favorite so far is Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. The fourth book was so long, and I struggled to get into the story, so I have since slowed down my Hogwart's journey. I need to get back on it, I know.

I feel like I am forgetting some. Hmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the love.