Friday, May 6, 2016

Ode to Early Twenties

My twenties are over. I'm not freaking out about turning the big 3-0 as much as I thought I would be, though it does weird me out a little.

Overall, the past decade of my life has been wonderful. Twenty year old me has grown so much, and in some ways, she has not changed at all. It's been insightful to look back and mentally review my twenties.

So, without further ado, here is my ode to my twenties: Early twenties edition.


The Early Twenties
(20-22)

Oh, geez. Early twenties is the era in my life that makes me cringe the most. The worries that I had. The awkward way I dealt with boys. The way I viewed several things. It makes me want to say, "Uggggggghhhh". But it wasn't all bad.

Age 20:
I was a bit of a late bloomer. When I graduated high school, I was too anxious to leave home, and decided to attend a community college. When I was 19, I applied to BYU and was accepted a few days before my 20th birthday. So this was the year I finally left home. This is the also the year when I experienced a lot of heartache. A few weeks before my 20th birthday, my niave, young heart was broken by a boy (that, looking back, I wasn't very easy to date at the time). So I spent my 20th birthday in Provo visiting my siblings, mentally preparing to move there, and feeling sorry for my lonesome heart.
During the age 20, I grew a lot living away from home. I got to live with my sister, start school, meet a ton of people, and land a job that is my very favorite job I've ever had to date- working as a paraprofessional at the Career and Learning Information Center on campus. This job lead me to meet some of my dearest college friends, as well as solidify my decision to go into social work.
Twenty was also the age when I met Jordan for the first time...though when I met him, he was just a guy I was dating's roommate; NOT a potential husband. This is the first picture we took "together" and it always makes me laugh:

Age 21:
Age 21 was kind of a harder year for me. My sister, with whom I was extremely close, got engaged and married, and I had a hard time adjusting to that. I also moved to a new apartment with all new roommates and lived in three different wards during this year. I often felt unsatisfied and antsy. I also continued to be incredibly awkward with dating, despite going on what felt like 1000000 dates that year. 
Besides some struggles, there was also a lot of fun things that happened. My sister and I took a trip to Washington DC together for a week and had a blast. I was accepted into the social work program and began its classes. I ended up making some really fantastic friends, and about three weeks before my 22nd, I went on my first date with Jordan.

 This picture was taken on my 21st birthday by a guy who Molly was sort of dating named Brad....who later became her husband!

 Hitting up DC in August 2008.


Age 22:
On my 22nd birthday, my good friend at the time, Dan (below, taking a bite of cake), threw me a "surprise" party. I think it was supposed to be an ironic surprise party, because he told me about it before it started. Whatever. 
 Dan's gift to me on my 22nd birthday. You can't see it because of the glare, but it's a picture of me and him. I actually still have this book today!
At the end of my birthday, Jordan (the guy that I had been on about 3 dates with) came over, sang "Happy Birthday" to me with his guitar, made me a cheesy candy card, and brought me a gift basket from Bath & Body Works. I was very flattered. After he left, my roommate said, "Oh, he loooooves you!" Then, unrelated to that, I promptly threw up.

I remember thinking the puke on my birthday was an omen, but the age 22 was actually fantastic! It was the age where Jordan and I had our Summer of Love, which was summer 2008 when we were both were obsessed with each other.
This picture was taken a few hours before our first kiss. :)


It was also the summer that I went to New York for the first time!

In the fall of being 22, I applied to graduate schools and had my first internship with the Provo School District. I also dressed up as Princess Peach.


In the winter of being 22, I went to Mexico with some of my family, flew to Tulsa, Oklahoma for the first time, and became engaged to the cutest Oklahoman.



Yes, a very good age indeed! My heart grew a lot Grinch-style. I was able to fall in love and learn what I really needed in a partner. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the love.