Monday, June 20, 2016

More Books

Sorry, Nancee. I am still not on Goodreads yet.

Here are a few books I have read since my last book update.

Necessary Lies, by Diane Chamberlain: This was the third Diane Chamberlain book I read within a month. I enjoyed the first one, Pretending to Dance, and really disliked the second one, The Silent Sister. I decided to read one more of her books as a tie breaker. I'm glad that I did. Of the three books, this one was my favorite. It is historical fiction, set in the south in the 1960's. The protagonist is a brand new social worker who is ready to jump in and bite off more than she could chew, which made her easy to relate to. It was a quick read, and it was educational.

The Perfect Comeback of Caroline Jacobs, by Matthew Dicks: I picked this novel out for an easy read during my trip to California a few months ago. It was good, not great. It's about a woman who, after uncharacteristically having a public meltdown, goes on a trip with her angsty daughter in search of some closure from her past. I thought the author, a male, did a good job in describing the female perspective of his character, so I give him kudos to that.

The Boys in the Boat, by Daniel Brown: This book was picked out for a book club I was in. It is not a book that I would normally pick for myself, but I enjoyed it. It is a nonfiction biography about the UW crew team that rowed in the 1936 Olympics, right before WWII. I enjoyed reading about Seattle back in the 30's, and I learned a lot about rowing (I knew nothing to begin with), and I was intrigued by the information about the rise of Nazi Germany just the Olympics were about to begin. It was a bit slow at times, as there is very little dialogue in the book. Still, I am glad I read it.

Cinder, by Marissa Meyer: Another book club pick. It's a sci-fi twist on the story of Cinderella. Instead of a princess, Cinder is a cyborg with an unknown history. Instead of a fairy godmother, Cinder has a friendly droid with whom she hangs out. Instead of glass slippers, she has a new mechanical foot for her cyborg leg. It was sort of fun, but not really my usual cup of tea. I was also frustrated that it was picked for book club because it doesn't have a definite ending, only an opening for the next book.

Modern Romance, by Aziz Ansari: I gobbled this book up, laughing out loud along the way. If you are a fan of Aziz, aka Tom Halverford on Parks and Rec, and you can look the other way on colorful language, this book is great. It is NOT a memoir. Aziz and a sociologist studied the changes in dating for the past decade as technology has advanced. It is actually quite interesting.

The Collapse of Parenting, by Leonard Sax: Another fantastic book. Sax is a family doctor and a psychologist. He discussed the problems with modern day parenting AND how to fix it. Filled with common sense solutions AND interesting information that I never thought of before, I give this book four stars.

Six of Crows, by Leigh Bardugo: I am still mad about this book. I read it. I enjoyed it...UNTIL THE END! Not because the ending is bad, but because the ENDING DOES NOT END. It is part of a series. I had no idea! Ugh. I was quite annoyed. I am simply not a fan of series. But this book was so captivating, I will have to surrender and read its sequel. The book is set in a fictional European dystopia. A gang of orphan teenagers are commissioned to complete an impossible heist. There is a lot of action, and I really enjoyed each character's backstory. I'd recommend the book if you are willing to get sucked into a series. Curse you, book.

Sarah's Scribbles, by Sarah Andersen: I have never related to a comic book character more in my entire life. Sarah Andersen's adorable comics have popped up here and there on my newsfeed, so I was excited to check out her new comic book. I read it in one setting, giggling and cackling the whole time. Sarah Andersen, if you are reading this, can we please be best friends?

1 comment:

  1. I checked them all out and picked the ones I want to try. Thanks for the reviews.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the love.