Sunday, July 15, 2012

Grandpa T

Yikes! I didn't realize that it had been 2 months since my last post! Oops.

The past 2 months have been pretty eventful for us!  I'll do my best to catch up.

In May, my paternal grandfather passed away. He had been in hospice care for a while, so his death was not unexpected. However, it was still very sad. Grandpa's passing meant that I no longer have any living grandparents. It also meant that I would never get to visit his and grandma's house again. That house was a fun part of my childhood. I'll never forget the fake hardwood carpet, the orange hide-a-bed couch, the candy duck, the wallpaper, Marj's huge knitted cube, grandma's spoon and Precious Moments statuette collections, and their clock and always gonged every hour. It meant the end of our bi-annual Thanksgiving in Boise with my dad's entire family (we've been doing that since 1990).

Most of all, it is sad to no longer see my grandpa in this life. He was a great man. He loved God and his family. Grandpa always smiled and was very generous. He was not one to say "I love you" out loud, but I never cared because he showed he loved us in so many ways. He gave very tight hugs each time I saw him and would be attentive to any of my stories that I would tell him. Growing up, every time we said good-bye, he would always say, "You be a good girl". I always liked hearing that. I remember one time when I was about 20, he simply said, "You are so good!" That's a simple but sweet memory I have of him.

Jordan and I were able to fly to Utah and attend my grandfather's funeral. It was wonderful to see my cousins, aunts and uncles, and siblings. I was also happy to visit my grandparent's house for a final good-bye.


Grandma and Grandpa's candy duck

 Dad and his sisters (and cousin)

My family, minus the spouses

My dad's cousin and husband, my parents, and the Jo's




We love you, Grandpa! We are happy you are reunited with loved ones; especially Grandma and Ozzie (their beloved and faithful dog who died last year).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the love.