Friday, October 4, 2013

Preggo Pet Peeves

I really try hard not to focus on the discomforts or negatives about being pregnant. For one, what good does it do? It's not something that I can change in the next 5 months. For another thing, I find it a little insensitive to go on and on about how much pregnancy may suck when there are so many women who are desperate to conceive. I remember when we were trying, or right after my miscarriage whenever I heard a girl complain about pregnancy symptoms, I wanted to scream, "I will gladly trade places with you!" So, for those reasons, I try to steer clear of complaining.

However, there are a few outside factors of pregnancy that bother me. These aren't things happening to my body, but things that I have to deal with (and every other pregnant woman) that get under my skin.


Prenatal "Exercises": I have been trying hard to keep up exercise throughout my pregnancy. I've been doing pretty well. I average working out about 4 times per week. The intensity of my exercising has definitely decreased, but I still want to feel like I am doing SOMETHING! For my first trimester, my doctor gave me the go ahead to go out as I used to prior to becoming pregnant, only to not let my heart rate sky rocket and to not do any hard core, repetitive jumping. Great! Once my second trimester came, I became more aware of my growing belly. I didn't want to bend too sharply or lay on my stomach. So I thought it would be a good time to transition to exercises specifically for a gestater, such as myself. Guys, these work outs are LAME! LAME LAME LAME! I did a prenatal yoga routine that had me sitting on my butt for the ENTIRE exercise! What?! And then I tried a cardio one. It seriously went like this: "Carefully march in place....CAREFUL....ok, now when you feel ready, start to raise your arms....ok, we are going to do this for about 5 minutes straight.BE CAREFUL! Ok, you're done!" I find these exercises incredibly condescending.  I tried one last one yesterday and decided to give up on them. From now on, I'm just gonna stick with my girl Jillian Michaels and modify when she wants me to jump.

Being Seen As Fragile:  I get it! Pregnancy is a big deal, and it is important for moms-to-be to take care of themselves. But for the love! People ask like if they blow on me I'll shatter into tiny pieces. I went to a bridal shower last week and I had MULTIPLE people comment on how I shouldn't be doing something because it was too heavy/too heavy. These tasks included: carrying a large bowl of potato salad, standing up and cooking, carrying a box full of table cloths, helping someone else take down a table (which was always touching the floor), and carrying empty serving bowls. I know no one means no harm when they tell me, "Oh, you shouldn't be carrying that/doing that!" but it gets a little old. I also know the people who say it care about me and my baby and many of them are people that I care about as well (Jordan is among the guilty). I guess part of me takes it the wrong way, as if someone is telling me, "I know better than you do about your body," or "You don't know how to take care of yourself or your baby." That's something that I have to deal with, I suppose. My fellow pregnant friend agreed with me when I was venting to her the other day, and she explained that when my third trimester comes, I won't mind the excuse not to carry things around, so I guess I should just wait til that day comes.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the love.