Sunday, February 16, 2014

Misery?

One common theme has repeated itself when I am talking to people. Everyone assumes I am miserable. For example, at church, I've heard the following:

"Oh, you look like you are just ready to be DONE!"

"You have 5 more weeks? I bet you wish it was now, huh?"

"You poor thing"

"Are you just counting down the days?"

"Oh, you look like you're about to pop. Are you hanging in there?"

When I saw talking to someone last week, she sympathetically asked, "So are you just MISERABLE?"

When I was walking casually in Hobby Lobby, a sales clerk frowned and said, "Oh, bless your heart!"

Frankly, it's driving me a little crazy. Let the record show that during all these interactions, I was either sitting comfortably, walking normally, standing normally, and often times smiling. There was no instance where I was dramatically waddling or clutching my chest in agony.

I know people mean well. I know they are trying to be nice. But enough is enough! I am certainly less comfortable now than I was when I wasn't pregnant, but my big ol' body is quite manageable in its current state. When I think of times when I truly was miserable (kidney surgery recovery is the first thing that comes to mind), this time of pregnancy seems like a breeze. And though my second trimester was definitely my favorite, I strongly prefer the third trimester to the first one. Misery seems to better describe the first 13 weeks of pregnancy where looking at billboard with a burger on it made me want to puke.

I guess this post is a little bit of a rant and also a reminder to myself to never comment on how a woman must not be enjoying life when she is pregnant, unless she says so. The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the love.