Sunday, March 16, 2014

"Ah, the Waiting Game sucks! Let's play Hungry Hungry Hippos."

At 37 weeks, I began to feel like a ticking time bomb. "This baby could come any time now!" I would think to myself as I frantically finished sewing baby hats, cleaning, or finishing the nursery.

Now I no longer feel like a ticking time bomb. I feel like a bomb that James Bond was successfully able to snip the correct wire and defeat. A big pile of tickingless garbage. I feel like nothing is every going to happen and I will be pregnant forever.

I know that sounds dramatic (I'm only 4 days overdue), but it's true. I think it would help if I was at least having an occasional contraction, but that's not happening.

Last Wednesday, when my doctor inserted a cervical balloon, he explained that when it comes out, that would mean I was dilated at least 3 cm. I had some cramping Wednesday night for a little while and then it went away. On Thursday, I was delighted to have my balloon come out. It meant I was a 3, riiiiiight? I texted my mom, sister, and Jordan to declare that labor was going to happen soon....but then it didn't. Sigh.

On Friday morning, I called my doctor's office to see if by chance I could come in to have my membranes swept. Luckily, he had a cancellation so I was able to be seen that morning. He checked my dilation and declared that even though the balloon came out, I was only at 2 cm. "You have a strong uterus," he said. Uh, thanks? He said that the baby felt low, but needed to move lower. He also said that I was 50% effaced. That's when I started to cry.

My doctor was sweet and explained that he was fine to wait as long as I wanted for labor to start naturally (which has been my preference all along), as long as the baby looks ok. The problem is Jordan's office (which we love) needed to know exactly what dates Jordan needed off for his paternity leave week. Jordan had picked the week after I was due, thinking that the baby would hopefully be here by now. I hate the idea of Jordan taking a whole week off of work only to have the baby not even come then. Also, as mentioned earlier, our baby's head was measuring sort of big, and I am worried that it will keep getting bigger to the point where I'll have to have a c-section. After talking for a while, we decided that if baby boy didn't make his debut by Tuesday, I would be induced. And then I cried again.

All day Friday, Saturday, and today I've been desperately trying ways to coax my body into labor. No far, no such luck. Not even a pity contraction. Jordan and I have unsuccessfully tried to use bribery, demands, and reverse psychology on our baby, but he's not buying it. Actually, I think the baby would be happy to leave based on how wiggly he has been over the past few days, but my body is being incredibly stubborn. I think I just need to plan on Tuesday being the big day.

Still, we would love for him to come on his own, and he feels so ready. Any prayers or good vibrations that could be sent our way would be greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the love.