Monday, January 25, 2016

Some more books

For about a month straight, I was hooked on reading. This is typical for me- read a ton of books in a row, then stop for several months. Here are the books I've read since December:

These is My Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, by Nancy E. Turner. Oh, my heart. This book. I can't even. I loved it. I'm mad at it. I don't know what I am. This book is loosely based on the author's ancestor's diary of her life in Arizona Territories during the late 19th century. This book is SATURATED in sad events. I read this book during my stay in Seattle for Christmas, and I kept telling my sister and mom, "I am too scared to read my book! Something bad might happen." However, I loved loved loved the protagonist. And I literally fell in love with her love interest. No joke. I actually would have to close the book and sigh and swoon over him. Haha. This book certainly would not be classified as a romance novel, but oh me oh my is it ever so romantic at times! Not bow-chicka-bow-wow romantic, but ACTUALLY romantic.

Pretending to Dance, by Diane Chamberlain. This book was a quick, captivating read. I can't decided if I liked the whole story, but I was certainly locked into it, which is always good for a book. The story is told in first person narrative, with the protagonist jumping back and forth between present time and the summer of 1994, when she was 14.

The Silent Sister, by Diane Chamberlain. After reading Pretending to Dance, I thought I would try another one of Diane Chamberlain's books. This one was lame-o. It was supposed to be a thriller with twists....but I GUESSED at least two of the three main twists. The characters were all rather unlikable, and toward the end of the book, I found myself skimming for the dialog. Meh.

The Girl on the Train, by Paula Hawkins. I really enjoyed this book. It is a mystery thriller that was very well written. Unlike The Silent Sister, I kept changing my mind on the twists. I also kept going back and forth over being disgusted by each character and then pitying them.It is told by three separate narrators, and it was fascinating to see the three separate women's story collide.

Why Not Me?, by Mindy Kaling. I actually listened to the audio book. I was not all that enchanted with this book, which was disappointing because I really enjoyed Mindy Kaling's first book, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? This one felt a little more braggy and her essays were longer-winded. But I didn't dislike all of it. Some of the essays were fun to listen to, and I still like Mindy....even if she likes Elizabeth Warren.

Diary of A Wimpy Kid, by Jeff Kinney. Yes, this book is written to ten year olds....what's your point? I've heard good things about the series, and I recall several of my former clients liking these books. My library had it on audio, and it was a fun story to listen to while I drove around. I didn't like it as much as I have loved other intermediate fictions, but it was still cute.

1 comment:

  1. PLEASE put all of this on Goodreads. I need your help. We read a lot of the same books.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the love.