Saturday, September 12, 2009

Two Steps Forward, Two Steps Back

We go together 'cause op-posites attract.

In my single days, I always wanted to marry someone JUST like me. It would weird me out to see people who were really different marry each other. My mom explained it to me saying, "They COMPLEMENT each other". I didn't buy it. But now that I am old and married, I can see that sometimes opposites do attract. (Amazing, Paula Abdul was right about something.) Here is written proof that it is true when it comes to the Hintzes:

1) Jordan is on the "tall side" being 6'2'', and weighing 205 lbs. I am on the "short side" being 5'0'' and weighing...well, significantly less than 205 lbs.

2) Jordan is totally anal about sanitation. I don't think he has ever missed a day of showering, and sometimes will take two a day. He washes his hands before eating anything, washes his hands after eating, and washes his hands before touching his face. I, on the other hand, am perfectly fine with missing a day of showering. It just means I'll wear a ponytail that day. Whatever. I wash my hands after using the restroom and before preparing dinner....that's about it. Despite my lack of hand wash obsession, my fingers can always be located inside my mouth- biting my nails. (After writing this, I feel a little sick. Yuck!)

3) I am a total night owl. It's rare for me to get tired before midnight, and I can usually last alot longer than that. Jordan? Not a night owl. If we start a movie before 8:30, I can guarantee I will be finishing it alone. He is always asleep by 10:30 pm. This was a hard thing to get used to, but its all good. Now I just use the late night to hog our computer all to myself.

4) Here's another sleeping one: Jordan LOVES naps and can take one anywhere at any time of the day. When he wakes up from one he feels refreshed and energized. Naps are extremely rare for me to take, usually because I don't have the patience to wait to fall asleep. When I do take a nap, the results are not good. I wake up cranky and lathargic. I feel as though I am drunk for a good 40 minutes after the nap is over. I try to avoid them as much as I can.

5) Jordan is right handed; I'm a lefty.

6) Jordan has an INCREDIBLE sense of direction. It blows my mind. He can remember where anything is after being there once. He always knows which way is north, south, east and west. He's even good at finding places he's never been to. SO opposite from me. I have to drive somewhere at least three times before I can get there without directions. And if it has been a few months, I will forget how to get there. I NEVER know where north is, and I often mix up left and right (I got that from my dad). It is very difficult for me to remember how to get places if I haven't driven there myself. For example, we have been going to the same church building since June. It's two miles from our apartment. Do I know where it is? Only sorta.

7) Football. Let's just say we have very different opinions on whether or not it's enjoyable. Verrrrrrry different.

8) Our body temperatures our hardly ever in sync. I frequently switch off the A/C when Jordan is in the other room.

9) I wear my emotions on my sleeves. I cry all the time- even when I really really do not want to. I cry when I get angry. I cry when I feel the spirit. I cry when my feelings get hurt. I cry when I have to confront someone. I cry when I am scrared, overwhelmed, sad, in alot of pain, or watching a movie where an animal dies. Since Jordan and I began dating a year and a half ago, I have seen him cry twice. That's. It.

10) Though our senses of humor are very similar, we have some differences in the category. Jordan looooooves practical jokes. Nothing makes him giddier than prank calls or pretending to be German. That kind of stuff never really appealed to me. On the other hand, pictures of cats that ask if they "can has cheezeburger" crack me up, but leave Jordan a little bewildered.


So there you have it. We are a bit different. There are other ways too, but 10 seemed like a nice number to stop at. What are big differences between you and your spouse?

3 comments:

  1. Andy-night person.
    Me-not so much.
    Andy-can't touch his toes...and that doesn't seem to concern him.
    Me-yoga mama.
    Andy-has a higher mess tolerence (which is a good thing, so when I'm freaking out about the house, he's calm)
    me-I like not messy.
    Andy-funny.
    Me-I laugh at funny rather than make funny.
    That's what I got now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sonja!! How are you? We need to talk sometime soon! Hope you're doing well. Dave is awesome with directions and I am like clueless when it comes to getting somewhere new! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sonja! I miss you! I was telling my sister-in-law about your lyric game the other day.. and then I wanted to play it. Dang.
    I love to dance - Cody=not so much. He is extremely organized.. I on the other hand can hardly remember where I put my keys. 'nuf said.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the love.