Sunday, March 25, 2012

Still not a grown up.

Even though I am about to 26 in a week, I was reminded last night that I have no need to fear about aging yet. If anything, I should call my doctor to rule out Benjamin Button syndrome.

Last night, I attended a fireside at my church. It was a special fireside for Young Women, their mothers, and Young Women leaders. It was a the General Young Women Broadcast, and there were two wards meeting for it- my ward (the New Haven ward) and the other ward that goes to our building (Riverside ward).

Since I am not a young woman or a mother, I sat down by myself on a side pew. While the building coordinator was setting up our projector, A mother from the other ward smiled at me and said, "Hi, you must be from New Haven. Are you new?" I responded, "No, not really. I've been in the ward for about 3 years." She looked confused and asked, "Really?! What's your last name?" I told her my name. She continued to look perplexed and then asked, "Are you a leader, or a young woman?" BAH! I explained I was a leader. "OH!" she replied, "I thought you were a new youth....how OLD are you?" I wanted to respond, "None of your dang business, lady. You wouldn't ask someone your age that question, would you?" but instead I smiled and said, "I'm almost twenty-six." She looked even more surprised and said, "Wow, I thought you were maybe 19 if you were a leader!" Ugh.

Last forward about 5 minutes later. The broadcast was just starting when a friendly looking teenaged girl from the other ward came up and sat next to me. She smiled and asked, "Hi, what's your name?" I started to think that maaaaaybe she's just friendly? I told her my name. She introduced herself and then nervously asked if I wanted to sit next to her and her friends. Yes, she thought I was a lonesome teen. I didn't want her to feel stupid for asking me because IF I was a teenager all by myself at a fireside I would have appreciated her invitation, so I accepted her offer. I smiled and told her I was a leader but I would be happy to sit next to them. She lead me to her pew with her friends and her mom. Her mom smiled and asked, "Hi! Are you new?" I politely explained that no I was NOT a new youth, but a leader. The mom's jaw dropped. "OH! My goodness you, look so young! We thought you were a new young women!" Oh, brother. I made sure to let them know that it was great for them to invite a stranger to their pew, but yes it was a little awkward.

So, Universe, I give up. What do I need to do to look older than seventeen?

2 comments:

  1. If you get any good comments, let me know. I still struggle with that and I am almost 34. I think a little gray hair helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will laugh when you get to be 50 and everyone thinks you are 25 - eat it up, sistah... though awkward at moments.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the love.