Friday, August 24, 2012

*Facepalm*

I love Pinterest. A lot. But man oh man, there are some pins that make me want to rip my hair out. I never want to comment on the pins that my fellow pinners pinned (I like the word "pin". Sue me), because I don't feel like Pinterest is a place of debate. So instead, I will rant about them here.


The following pins = facepalms

1. The "modest Barbie"
The idea is that some moms don't think a child should see Barbies "naked" body, so a solution is to use nail polish and cover her body up.

Uh.....Whaaaaaaaaat? I'm sorry, this is simply ridiculous. I feel that the idea that naked is bad and needs to be fixed is downright silly. Personally, I feel that this does more psychological damage (body shaming) than leaving her naked.

Which leads me to another Barbie rant. Aboutu 5-6 years ago they changed Barbie's measurements to be more realistic. I think this was such a dumb idea. Barbie circa 1980-2000 had about EEE boobs, a 13" human scale waist, and was about 6'5'' inches tall on a human scale (these are total estimations by myself, FYI). Every girl knew that Barbie's body was totally unrealistic. I doubt too many girls compared their own 10 year old bodies to her's because- HELLO! Not real. The new dolls have more realistic (yet flawless) bodies. I think the new bodies are easier for girls to compare their own to, which is sad. Ok, Barbie discussion over.

Well, almost over. This was my very favorite Barbie. Hollywood Hair Barbie!! Yeah-yuh! YOU COULD PAINT HER HAIR!


2.  The JFK/Monroe Picture
This pictured has been pinned with a comment that is usually along the lines of "JFK and Marilyn. So sweet" or "Two love birds!"  Allow me to be redundant.....Whaaaaaaaat? This isn't a love picture- it is photographic evidence about an AFFAIR. Just because they were two celebrities doesn't make it cute. As G.O.B. Bluth would say, "C'MON!!!"

3. The John Smith Indian Picture

So there are a lot of different Disney art pins. I don't mind most of them because I love me some Disney. But THIS PICTURE:
One more time. WHAAAAAAAT?!! This picture is implying that Pocahontas and John Smith stayed together (which if we remember in history, and more importantly at the end of the movie he left to return to England after he got shot), got married, (which if you were cool like me and watched Pocahontas 2 or read a history book you know she married John Rolfe), and lived as indians with a kid? I don't mean to be that annoying person, but I think this one is just plain dumb.

Ok, rant is over.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you on all of these pins! Great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ......I just pinned all 3 of those before reading your post :( KIDDING! Yikes, soooo dumb. The Pocahontas one makes me laugh out loud. Im still laughing right now. And, FYI, I dont think you can use the words "cool like me" and "Pocahontas 2" in the same sentence.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the love.