Thursday, November 12, 2009

money money money!

Yesterday Jordan had an interesting conversation with a new nurse at work. I wasn't there, so these quotes are not exact. They are just what Jordan told me. The parentheses are my own commentary.

Nurse: "So you just got married?"

Jordan: "Yeah, almost 6 months ago" (Augh! I can't believe its been that long already!!!)

"You likin' it so far?"

"Yeah, it's great! I mean, there are things you have to adjust to, but overall I love it."

"I know what you mean. My husband and I have been married twelve years and we are still adjusting to stuff. Our biggest issue is money."

"Yeah...I can see how that could be stressful. My wife and I are currently living like poor people so we sometimes debate over what's a need and what's a want."

"Need and want? (whaaa?) What do you mean you live like poor people."

"Oh, know you... we only have one car..."

" whoa!"

... most of our furniture was donated to us or second hand, we have one of those ghetto government issued tv converter boxes.."

"Wait...you're saying you don't have CABLE?"

"No. I liked to get it someday, but we don't have it yet. And our TV is sorta old and boxy."

"Oh my gosh. REALLY? (Sad that this is so astonishing!) Don't you want a nicer one?"

"Well, I WANT a nicer one, but we aren't going to buy it until I am done with school. We are planning on saving for those upgrades when we have a better income."

" See, that was our problem. We didn't plan for anything. Wow...you are wise beyond your years."

This was just a little funny to me. People often hear that we have a prophet and think that it is totally bogus, yet when they hear someone living the council that the prophets had given it us, it is astonishing and wise. The gospel makes perfect sense.

I also like that Jordan and I have a marriage where Jordan just called a few minutes ago to ask if it was cool if he bought a $13 football ticket. It makes me feel confident that I am never going to come home to a brand new car sitting in our driveway that I knew nothing about. Siiiiigh

5 comments:

  1. that's so true! we finally got rid of our satellite, we realized it just wasn't necessary considering all the dvds we have for the kids and all the stuff we can watch on hulu. We don't even have a converter box anymore and things aren't that much different than they used to be. We are also a one car family, I definitely advise having a second vehicle (inexpensive and paid for) before having a child... it's very hard to make friends when you first move someplace and can't go to play group or things like that. It's funny how many people think we are archaic for only having one car, but we did the two car thing when we were first married and we just can't afford it at the moment... soon though we will, thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you come to Tucson in a few weeks, we will send you home with a TV. We are getting rid or ours I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting rid of your TV? Heathens. TV=teacher, mother,...secret lover. Talk some sense into your brother, Jo. And I don't mean me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting rid of our TV?!?!? Are you insane, Nancee? Oh. She must mean our old TV. That's ok. Really though, Hignomina, we just inherited a flatscreen so we can rid ourselves of our old one. The sound doesn't work (thus the 'free' price tag), but I'll figure something out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. its all good. I actually h ave Andy's old tv! How did you inherit a flat screen???

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the love.