Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Pet Peeves

I'm an easily bugged person. Don't get me wrong, lots of things make me happy and sometimes even downright giddy, but lots of things make bother me big time. What I think is interesting is when something that drives me insane and it doesn't even faze someone else and vice versa. So I thought it would be fun (and therapeutic!) to list all of my pet peeves. See if you agree with any of them or find what make me angry is your reason for living. I have so many pet peeves that I am going to place them in categories.

Facebook Pet Peeves
* When people write their status' in a foreign language
* When people write "deep", vague statuses. For example: Sonja is feeling the hurt that comes from loss of a broken dream.
* Statuses that don't make any sense at all. this includes people quoting music or movies with the intention to be mysterious.
* When people click "Reply to All" when they are responding to a mass inbox message. This one probably gets me the most fired up.
* People who invite all of their friends to events. SO LAZY! Don't invite me to something if you live in Provo and I live in Oklahoma. It's like saying, "I really don't care who comes to this." Boo.

School Pet Peeves
*Students who make very loooong winded comments. Cut to the chase PLEASE.
* When class goes over time. I have ZERO tolerance for this.
* When teachers assign overwhelming amounts of reading that are not even mentioned during lecture.
* When students ask stupid questions about assignments that could easily be answered with a quick glance at the syllabus.
* When someone sits in my seat. I'm one of those people who picks a spot and stays there for the whole semester. Taking that spot away is chaos...well, maybe not chaos, but irritating.
* This is rare, but when my professor is teaching something that I know is wrong. Not morally, but factually. This happened during one of my classes and it was driving me CRAZY.
* When students throw the words crisis and poverty around effortlessly during class. Both of those words have very specific definitions if you are using them clinically, yet some students use them as though crisis=sad and poverty=kinda poor.

Church/Mormon Culture Pet Peeves
* Hymns being sung slower than they are supposed to be sung.
* When church goes over time. General Conference NEVER goes over. If the prophet keeps with a schedule, shouldn't we all?
* When people stand up to the pulpit and say, "I wrote this talk last night..." As Jordan puts it, it is an invitation to not pay attention.
* When people use testimony meeting as a method of advertisement. "I wanted to bear my testimony- and also let you know that we are having a farewell tomorrow..." Ugh.
* When people give a talk and try to be funny the whole time. SoooOOooOooo annoying. This happened alot in my student wards.
* When we only sing the first three verses of "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief"
* Mormons who blatantly swear to look cool.
* When Mormon girls wear bikinis in public like it ain't no thang.
* When people claim that they didn't prepare a talk or a lesson because they wanted to rely on the Spirit.....uh, no.


Driving Pet Peeves
* When people make a left hand turn into the wrong lane. ERGH!
* When someone doesn't use their blinker.
*When someone stops right in front of a parking lot entrance.
* Honda Elements in general
* Crappy parking jobs

Conversational Pet Peeves
* Students who talk really loudly on their cell phone in quiet areas (anyone notice this ALOT at BYU? And didn't it seemed as though those chubby blonde RM's who were talking in a foreign language happened to talk much much louder?)
* When I would be on first dates, and someone would ask me, "So what do you like to do for fun?" I LOATHED that question....
*When an adult uses the following words: stinky, stink, stinks
* When adults use obvious improper grammar in somewhat formal/professional situations



Parental Pet Peeves
*
Children in movie theaters- particularly mature movies. I understand that its a risk of hearing kiddy chatter if I go to see Up!, but if I am watching Angels and Demons, I shouldn't have to hear the commentary of a six year old sitting behind me.
* People who do not remove their babies when they are crying in church.
* Children playing in dressing rooms. Grrrr.



Miscellaneous

* When people do not return their shopping carts to the appropriate location. This is the ESSENCE of selfishness and laziness.
*Bad customer service in general.
* When my pants get wet all the way up to my knees after walking in the rain.
* loud Liberals (and loud conservatives too, but Liberals tend to be much more noisy)
* When someone misquotes a movie line (I know it's dumb, but it just bugs me a little)
* Any printed article that states Scarlett Johanson as being hot, pretty, or talented
* Buy one, get one half off sales. Why would I want two? Can't they just make one 25% off?
* When I am not taken seriously due to my height (this is not nearly as frequent as it once was. I think getting older has helped)
* Overuse of auto-tune in songs
* Sagging jeans
*When a remark made against a person who is not white is portrayed as Racist, regardless if race had annnnything to do with it.
*When someone has a whitehead on their face, but is not going to pop it because they "want it to heal". Yeah, then stay home until it is healed.

Hmmm...I guess that wasn't too therapeutic after all. I just feel annoyed. Oh, well...

6 comments:

  1. I actually agree with most of these! Another thing to go along with the parental/movie pet peeves: I HATE when little kids kick the back of my chair at the movie theater for an entire two hours and their parents could care less what their children are doing. That is the worst!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what fun! totally agree with your parental ones...except the last one... those are my kids. And if you don't like variations of the word stink,I'll just go ahead and apologize now and hopefully that will cover us through Christmas break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could not agree more with most of those! I don't know if I use the word Stink(sorry if i did). I have a huge pet peeve with people who "make up" cuss words that sounds oddly close to the original one... especially adults.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *Troy is feeling the pangs of agony pertaining to long lost opportunities i konyechna ya pishu po-russki*

    I was thinking of this stinkin' blog post while Erica was crying through all 15 minutes of the first 3 verses of "Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief" last Sunday. As the next sacrament speaker wrapped up, 5 minutes after the buzzer because the Spirit's real-time promptings were just flowing, (I think his name was Stan), I realized how much of a crisis you must be in, Sonja. You're currently living in poverty and have no work. As a poverty-stricken white woman (sorry for the racism), you could probably use a shopping cart to store all your fetch in. You can use the one I left on the other side of the QFC parking lot, in one of the 4 stalls that I was parked over.

    I better go. Angels and Demons is in the cheap theater, and I need something to do while I'm watching Erica.

    I don't even know why I'm telling you all of this since you're too short to know what's going on anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, this is your fav cousin Jaime! I love Troy and Nancee's comment I totally agree with the "you sat in my seat" thing at a class..It throws off your whole day! And I still get the short thing ALL the time..mainly at work blah. Happy thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the love.