Tuesday, July 6, 2010

I need a woman


Jordan and I are best friends, but when it comes to conversations we often clash. Not on conversation topics, but on how to have a worthwhile conversation in general.

For Jordan, it's all about the big picture. Just cut to the chase and give the punchline. For me, I like details detail details. Who was all there? What EXACTLY did they say? What was the weather like, etc. This tends to reek havoc on our daily chitchat.

This is a typical conversation that takes place when Jordan is sharing an acedote.

Jordan: So then the girl started talking smack to me! And-

Me: No WAY! What was she saying?

Jordan: You know, smack talk.

Me: Yeah, but what did she say to you?

Jordan: Uh...just stupid rude stuff. So then I-

Me: c'MON! Tell one thing she said!

Jordan: I don't remember, she was just talking smack.

Me: So...you recall a girl talking to you and you remember it was smack talk, but you DON'T remember a single thing she said?!

Jordan: Right.

Me: *Napoleon Dynamite sigh*

And then there is poor Jordan with his text messages. I'm not a jealous psycho; I'm just curious about what he and his friends talk about. This does not mesh perfectly with big-picture-Jordan. We have this talk frequently:

Me: *seeing Jordan read a text* Who was that?

Jordan: Jared.

Me: What did he say?

Jordan: He said, "That's cool"

Me:Oh....what's cool??

Jordan: Huh?

Me: What did you say that made him say "that's cool"

Jordan: Uh..I said we're watching The Office

Me: Huh. Did he say what he is doing right now? What's he doing right now?

Jordan: Um, he's studying.

Me: Oh.... .... ...What are you going to text back to him?

Jordan: *Napoleon Dynamite sigh*



It's moments like this where I wish I had a wife. Am I the only one who is like this, or is Jordan right when he tells me I'm a weirdo?

4 comments:

  1. you are no psycho! Nate and I have the same kinds of conversations all the time... boys just are not into the details i dunno why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BAHAHAHAHAH!!! I'm the SAME WAY! We must have been roommates or something. Girls THRIVE on talking about details - guys think it's super unnecessary. We should be neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahaha. This made me laugh. Out loud. Because I soooo remember having these kind of conversations with you!! "He said WHAT?" "What did he look like when he was saying that... mad? sad? happy?" "Was it snowing hard or just kinda sorta snowing?" "So I was standing here adjacent to her, and she was kind standing facing him.... I know, right?"

    These are all VERY important details that affect the dynamic of a story. Duh.

    Haha oh I miss you. Come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please have Jordan cut his flipped out bob before he sees my grand babies... they are easily confused and you would have to start therapy on them!!!!I know , I have always encouraged different hair styles on you kids but the style "outrageous cross-gender" wasn't one of them. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the love.